Re: How will regular users know which web apps work offline?

Two thoughts -

1) "this app will work offline" is kind of a spectrum, not a Boolean;
obviously, many features of an app may be shut off when disconnected.  It's
challenging to capture that well in a UI.

2) However, at a base level, you can leave it up to the developer - the
manifest for Chrome Hosted Apps (web applications on a regular web server,
but with a manifest to be published in the Chrome Web Store) has a special
bit<https://developers.google.com/chrome/apps/docs/developers_guide#offline>to
state that the app is "offline enabled".  This lets us highlight apps
that will still work when you're offline (when Chrome goes offline, the New
Tab page grays out all non-offline enabled apps if you are offline).