Fwd: Social Interest Group Charter - My review

Dear all,

appended is the first publicly available revision/draft of a "Social
Interest Group Charter" created by the W3C Social Business WG.

Before that a discussion on an internal mailing list of the W3C Social
Business Community Group about the name and focus of the Interest Group
had taken place. The original proposed name was "Social Business
Interest Group". I had suggested to broaden the focus to help to
strengthen network effects and to drop "Business" from the name. Several
participants representing huge companies were sympathetic to those
suggestions.

As you can see, the name of the proposed Interest Group was changed by
dropping the "Business" but the focus currently seems to be essentially
the limited original one.

Members of the broad public so far only appear as "customers" in that
document and while "business", "market", "industry" etc. are mentioned
several times other terms like "privacy" or "data protection" can not be
found in that text at all. It is only a first revised draft but it still
is noteworthy what is contained and what is left out so far.

I think there are essentially two options for the FSW CG:

1. We can continue to ask for broadening the scope to include topics in
which the FSW CG and IndieWeb communities are interested in. In that
case we should also suggest to drop "Business" from the name "W3C Social
Business Activity".

2. We can suggest to put the "Business" back in the name again so that
everybody is aware what the Interest Group is and is not about. In that
case it still might make sense for members of the FSW CG to participate
in that Interest Group.

What do others think?

Cheers,
Andreas

BTW: For myself the fact that the W3C management is now in practice
helping to promote DRM with the HTML "Encrypted Media Extension" (EME)
perhaps will play a role in such decisions and activities. EME can not
be an Open Standard according to the definition used by the Open Source
Initiative and is incompatible with FOSS, privacy and security. As the
EFF correctly observed it is likely that further efforts to lock-down
the web will from now on happen within the W3C.