Re: What we need in a next-gen social network

On 25 November 2013 22:30, Mark Janssen <dreamingforward@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I've looked at pangia a few times before, and I like the concepts.
> >
> > Content addressed identifiers can work really well as part of a strategy,
> > we've seen this many times with things like git, bitcoin to name a couple
>
> Yes, and see also the concept of WikiWord addressing of the original
> WikiWikiWeb (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiWeb).  If you explore the
> page on WikiWord's you'll see how it can form a rather nice addressing
> scheme.
>
> > I'm intruiged by: "Leap-frogging over RDF, we'll be using the power of
> the
> > visual cortex to make relationships instead. Killer"
>
> Did you see the screenshot?  Unfortunately, the screenshot is using
> only random data.  But if it were organized information, for example,
> your file system, you'd see a fractal cloud of files centered on your
> /root directory.
>
> > Regarding "self determined storage" I'm unsure this is a complete
> solution.
> > ie who decides where things are stored, the user, or the developer of the
> > system, it seems to me slightly more leaning towards the latter, at this
> > point in time.
>
> Have you investigated Freenet?  See http://freenetproject.org/whatis.html

Yes, I have.  There's a lot of things I like about freenet, it's a very
useful tool, imho

> It's completely controlled by the user.  However, like all things
> "internet", as soon as you publish something, you necessarily lose
> *some* control.

Ah I see, so the user controls *what* data they put there, but not *where*
they put it.  I'd still perhaps like to see slightly more in the way of
options for the user before I would describe it as "self determined
storage".  I may have bought my own secure data storage area that I'd like
to use.