Re: Federation protocols

Simon from buddycloud here.

As Mikael was saying, eash of these networks has a different application
logic. Imagine trying to unify Twitter and Facebook: Facebook has a one-one
follower model, Twitter has a decoupled following model. In Facebook I can
post into your stream. In Twitter not.

I agree it's really good about mapping out a master protocol for new
internet services early on to give a framework that can guide some sort of
interop. In the case of social, I don't think there is one "right" way to
do this. Each application is different and has different following,
publishing and sharing models. Each of these is shaped by the requirements
of that application or federated network. For example oStatus started with
the assumption that everything was open. buddycloud started with the
assumption that channels are private by default and can then be opened up.

And then we get to names: pump uses something that looks like
http://name.pump.io, buddycloud uses name@example.com.

The devil is always in the details and trying to mash together different
protocols and apps will end up with some horrible grey good that is
 software by the lowest common denominator.

S.

--
Simon Tennant | buddycloud.com | +49 17 8545 0880 | office hours:
goo.gl/tQgxP