Re: Wiki page Re: Proposal to develop best practice document to focus work of W3C FSW Community Group

On 19 May 2013, at 17:00, Dileepa Jayakody <dileepajayakody@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de>wrote:
>> Dileepa Jayakody:
>>> I've got a small suggestion for the above document. Can we also have a
>>> section for ongoing/related projects and their use cases (eg: Eclipse
>>> Higgins, OneSocialWeb, Kantara)?
>>> I think it will be a useful list for developers.
>>
>> I am not absolutely against this but hesitate to do that. Selecting
>> protocols and standards is already difficult and potentially
>> controversial. Selecting best projects likely would be even more
>> controversial. I do not tend to avoid controversies but would like to
>> concentrate on those around protocols, standards and specifications for
>> the Best Practices document.
>>
>> ***
>>
>> The OneSocialWeb project is dead since a few years, which is unfortunate
>> because it was a promising project...
>>
>> Eclipse Higgins also seems to be more dead than alive:
>> http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/higgins-dev/maillist.html
>>
>> Sad to see these projects not living up to their potential.
> I think we need some reference implementations for the discussed protocols
> and reference projects (samples) for new explorers (like me) of federated
> social web. I agree with you on the point that selecting best projects can
> be controversial  but I think that will attract more people to this area of
> study... Maybe selecting/discussing projects and reference implementations
> of protocols will be a secondary step in improving the document.

Controversy is not always a bad thing when it's handled correctly. So, in this case, if I may, I'd recommend adding in any references you think would add colour/explanation/grounding to the document. Giving examples whilst trying to explain technologies can be really useful even if it does add some impurities. If someone takes issue with what's being written and they express/vocalise this then you can use this as an opportunity to engage them in dialogue and perhaps get them to participate more in this group. Of course, if someone doesn't like what's written and just goes and sulks in a hole then there's not much we can do about it. Last but not least: Well done for getting this document together! Cheers Daniel