Re: Proposal to develop best practice document to focus work of W3C FSW Community Group

Michiel B. de Jong:
> i think instead of creating a best practice document, we can just make
> sure the wiki is complete and up-to-date:
>
>     http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/Main_Page

Yes, updating the Wiki is necessary. Volunteers are welcome ;-)

> we can try to give the reader a sense of
>
> - how many developer are currently working on/with a certain protocol?
> - how many software projects/independent code bases "speak" the protocol?
> - does it pass SWAT0?
> - how  many servers / active user accounts support it?

Yes, the protocols need to be evaluated objectively and these are
potentially relevant criteria. (Numbers of servers/active users etc.
need to be verified.)

> i would say let's just keep giving all protocols and projects in the
> ecosystem a fair chance to present themselves here, and exchange
> experiences. maybe a winner will emerge, maybe not. but choosing one
> through a mailinglist-vote sounds like a bad idea.

I did not propose any procedures on how to make potentially
controversial decisions. But it is possible that votes are also relevant
information for readers of the document.

And sometimes it can help to promote interoperability by explicitly
recommending one of two or more alternatives. But we do not need to
discuss that now. We can do that when such a concrete controversy arises.

In general the document can and should concentrate on those aspects
where there is rather broad consensus. I am confident and hopeful that
the document will not be empty when this is a guideline.

Cheers,
Andreas