rough consensus and running code [was: Federation protocols]

Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak wrote:

>> Yup... rough consensus and running code, then the market tends to drive
>> what gets adopted.
> What the rough consensus is, please, can you tell me? Or point to a document
> that describes it?

The bywords of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and about the
only well proven standards process I know of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_consensus
http://www.ietf.org/tao.html

Or as Dave Clark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_D._Clark) puts it:
"/We reject: kings, presidents and voting//. //We believe in: rough
consensus and running code./^"
http://ietf.org/proceedings/prior29/IETF24.pdf
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_D._Clark#cite_note-2>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_D._Clark#cite_note-2>