Re: RE : Re: Federation protocols

Dnia środa, 12 czerwca 2013 o 21:36:17 Miles Fidelman napisał(a):
> Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak wrote:
> >>
> >> That's not how successful standardisation works.
> >>
> >> At one point the gopher protocol was THE way to access information on
> >> the internet.
> >>
> >> Then some annoying little upstart at CERN started trying to get people
> >> to use his standard for hypertext. And nobody wanted to even have him
> >> speak at hypertext conferences. But he kept on working on it and
> >> building *real-world* use cases and applications and a software
> >> ecosystem.
> >>
> >> Others started contributing code to the NCSA browser and httpd.
> >>
> >> HTML was successful because someone went and built something that was
> >> incompatible with the gopher protocol.
> >>
> >> THEN it was standardised.
> >>
> >> Bottom up works. Top down gives us standards that only a telco could
> >> love.
> >
> > This is a completely different situation. Newcommer (HTML) vs. incumbent
> > (Gopher) is different than a situation with several strong contestants
> > (Diaspora, DFRN2, etc).
> >
> > We already have good standards built bottom-up. Time to agree on some and
> > work from there.
>
> Actually HTTP vs. gopher - both support(ed) multiple media types. It's
> also worth noting that early
> browsers supported both HTTP and gopher (and ftp and other things). It
> took a while for HTML
> to become dominant and for other protocols to be phased out of browsers.
>
> Similarly, an awful lot of chat clients are multi-protocol.
>
> An awful lot of mail clients and servers used to support multiple
> messaging protocols (SMTP, UUCP, NNTP, Fido, ...).
>
> Top-down only works if you're a dominant player and can enforce your
> preferred interface.

Yes. Great. That's why I am a strong proponent of Friendica's approach of
supporting multiple protocols. However, I believe there should be a protocol
that sshould be "preferred", "recommended" by this group, so that if anybody
writes another libre social networking software, they will have a clear
indication which protocol to implement first.

For the thousandth time: I am not advocating a strong-arm approach of "making"
(however that might work) all projects use one and the same protocol.

I am *strongly* advocating this group to sit down and try to come up with a
single *recommendation* as far as a federated social network protocol is
concerned. Anything that could work as an interoperability bridge between the
networks.

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania