Re: RE : Re: Federation protocols

On 12 June 2013 19:13, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 June 2013 19:09, Evan Prodromou <evan@e14n.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 13-06-12 11:24 AM, Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak wrote:
>>
>> Federation, however, needs interoperability.
>>
>> That's not true.
>>
>> It's possible to have an Open Source social server that's a *de facto*standard even though there's not a lot of other implementations of the
>> protocol.
>>
>> jabberd in the early years of XMPP would be a good example.
>>
>> I think interop is great and all that, but I think it's actually a slower
>> and more difficult route to federation than widespread adoption of a de
>> facto standard Open Source implementation.
>>
>> The more permissive the license, and the more participatory the project,
>> the better.
>>

> It's worth taking a second to ask what balance of properties a standard
> should have.  While far from perfect, every major standards body has so far
> agreed on these rough five principles:
>
> http://open-stand.org/principles/
>

>    - *Due process.* Decisions are made with equity and fairness among
>    participants. No one party dominates or guides standards development.
>    Standards processes are transparent and opportunities exist to appeal
>    decisions. Processes for periodic standards review and updating are well
>    defined.
>    - *Broad consensus.* Processes allow for all views to be considered
>    and addressed, such that agreement can be found across a range of interests.
>    - *Transparency.* Standards organizations provide advance public
>    notice of proposed standards development activities, the scope of work to
>    be undertaken, and conditions for participation. Easily accessible records
>    of decisions and the materials used in reaching those decisions are
>    provided. Public comment periods are provided before final standards
>    approval and adoption.
>    - *Balance.* Standards activities are not exclusively dominated by any
>    particular person, company or interest group.
>    - *Openness.* Standards processes are open to all interested and
>    informed parties.

And here's the properties this should generate:

collective empowerment by striving for standards that:

   - are chosen and defined based on technical merit, as judged by the
   contributed expertise of each participant;
   - provide global interoperability, scalability, stability, and
   resiliency;
   - enable global competition;
   - serve as building blocks for further innovation; and
   - contribute to the creation of global communities, benefiting humanity.