Re: Finding user profiles on a Social Net

On 6 June 2013 17:01, Goix Laurent Walter <
laurentwalter.goix@telecomitalia.it> wrote:

>  ** **
>
> ** **

This is a very good point.

In essence there's 3 conversations:

1. "Follow your nose" on links to discover more information from an
existing record.  This is covered quite well in linked data style
solutions, activity streams, link headers etc.

2. Search user profiles social domains.  This is largely unexplored
territory and people are used to finding their friends on facebook using
<firstname> <lastname> with autocomplete widgets.  There's no analog in the
FSW ... largely because of two things 2.1 Forward search is the norm rather
than reverse search, 2.2 Profiles are distributed across domains.  Both
issues are problems waiting for a solution, and can build on existing
profile stores, but as you say, perhaps something for another thread, or
another time.

3. Well known locations as a convenient heuristic to make life a little
easier.  To an extent webfinger is trying to cover this, but it is not yet
standardized, not does it yet return 5 star linked data yet, to my
knowledge, so there may be interoperability concerns.  Nor does webfinger
have a query search language, so reverse search would be infeasible, at
this time.  The solution I propose would address these issues, and also
allows interoperability with existing pattens such as linked data, activity
streams, schema.org, facebook open graph, in a way that would allow apps to
mash things up, and perhaps may pave the way for search as described in (2).