Re: Federation protocols

Nick Jennings wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Melvin Carvalho
> <melvincarvalho@gmail.com <mailto:melvincarvalho@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 31 May 2013 11:50, Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak <rysiek@fwioo.pl
>     <mailto:rysiek@fwioo.pl>> wrote:
>
>         Dnia piątek, 31 maja 2013 o 06:59:52 Melvin Carvalho napisał(a):
>         > On 30 May 2013 20:26, Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak
>         <rysiek@fwioo.pl <mailto:rysiek@fwioo.pl>> wrote:
>         >
>         > The web was designed to be social from day 1.  There are
>         standards for this
>         > kind of thing, but they are highly underused, with perhaps,
>         the exception
>         > of facebook.
>
>         Are you talking about how Facebook uses XMPP? Otherwise, I
>         don't see the "open
>         social interoperable standard" in Facebook (although, granted,
>         I'm not a user
>         there).
>

>     There are many things about facebook that are not ideal, such as
>     privacy issues and centralization, but it is a market leader and
>     some of the technology is worth examining, imho
>
>     There is the xmpp, but I'm more referring to how facebook uses web
>     standards to federate. Facebook federation is found on over 10% of
>     all websites, so they must be doing something scalable.  The
>     techniques are to leverage HTTP via the open graph protocol
>

> Is it true federation though? I was under the impression that true
> federation, in the SMTP sense, would mean that users don't have to
> have a facebook account in order to interoperate.

Yup.  That's what the textbook definition would say.

It still leaves the issue of needing some kind of identity, which might
be tied to a specific system or vendor (e.g. Active Directory for
Windows, OpenID, any certificate based system that's tied to a
certificate authority).  But that's separable from the core design.