Re: Federation protocols

Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> I'm totally for using X.509 certificates for this and have been
> arguing several years for their adoption.  The bigcos are blocking it
> so far due to UX.  We were unable to get status.net
> <http://status.net> to support it even though we had people ready to
> work on the code.  By all means do try and get X.509 deployed, I'll
> write code for it, and support your messaging, but expect pushback due
> to the X.509 user experience.

X.509 is in extremely widespread use (can you say U.S. Federal
Government), it's built into browsers and mail clients, there are
modules to support it for Apache and other major web browsers, and
there's infrastructure for generating and managing certificates.

The problem is not with the technology, or its implementation.  The
problem is that key players don't want to adopt ANY open
identity/authentication mechanism.  Creating yet another technology or
protocol won't change that.