Re: Position papers / workshop Re: FSW CG now has 100 members

On 2013-07-03, at 4:49 PM, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org> wrote:

> Excerpts from Harry Halpin's message of 2013-07-01 08:36:48 +0000:
>
>> Evan Prodromou (who helped design the Ostatus stack), Monica Wilkinson
>> (ActivityStreams), and others are on the PC - along with of course,
>> interested companies. If folks see any key areas missing, just email me.
> I see: 'Shane Caraveo, Mozilla' and I hope Mozilla Persona and Open Badges will have representation! Open Badges promises to become a federated architecture + they seam to get more support from... celebrities ;) http://openbadges.tumblr.com/post/52891233828/huge-news-former-president-bill-clinton-supports-open

OpenBadges is indeed getting a bunch of endorsements, and is as federated as we've known how to do.  It's been helpful to be targeting an audience (educational organizations) that already values federation of control structures (your university's curriculum isn't the same as mine, your primary school web literacy programs don't match up with my vocational online course, etc.) and to have foundations as sponsors who are actively thinking about ecosystems, not walled gardens.  As an example, see the Chicago Summer of Learning program, which got over 100 organizations issuing badges to a common standard: http://chicagosummeroflearning.org/about (not all are hosting systems, but even getting agreement on the concept is a significant win).

I can see if someone from the openbadges world would want to come and talk, if that's interesting to this audience.

I believe Shane and folks from the Persona team are also on this list, but if not, that's easily remedied.

--da