Re: Position papers / workshop Re: FSW CG now has 100 members

On 07/01/2013 09:57 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 1 July 2013 21:24, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de
> <mailto:A.Kuckartz@ping.de>> wrote:
>
>     Michiel B. de Jong:
>     > On 2013-07-01 08:51, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>     >> I noticed that the Program Committee for that workshop mostly
>     >> consists of people who do not seem to be active in the Federated
>     >> Social Web community.
>     >
>     > i do not agree there Andreas, although maybe there are multiple
>     > "bubbles" of active people, and we are probably in a more European
>     > bubble.
>
>     I am not that much concerned about a different geographical "bubble".
>     But I think that the workshop "bubble" has somewhat different
>     interests
>     and priorities. That definitely is legitimate.
>
>     But if that workshop decides about future activities to be implemented
>     by the W3C then those decisions are unlikely to adequately reflect the
>     views of the members of the Federated Social Web Community Group. And
>     that would not help to strengthen the Open Social Web.
>

> Ah, I see.  I had presumed that Harry's workshop was in collaboration
> with this group.  It seems to be a separate thing in itself.  Thanks
> for pointing that out.

Just to be clear, it's an official W3C workshop. Insofar as this CG is
part of the W3C, it's a workshop that part of the CG. The co-chair of
this CG is on the PC and attending. Whether or not the workshop is
representative of this group depends on if people submit position papers
and attend.

However, the workshop is in the USA.  We did host a workshop two years
ago on this topic in Berlin. Unfortunately, nothing much came of it in
terms of focussed work, although lots of great connections were made.
Thus, we're trying again in the USA, since many folks from the USA were
not able to attend the Berlin workshop in 2011.

To be honest, I find the arguments over whether Facebook *really*
employs Linked Data to be a red herring, as regardless of how one
interprets "5 stars", Linked Data is not a magic bullet that encompasses
all of "social" (if it was a magic bullet, it's a rather slow-moving
magic bullet, although perhaps a bit quicker than the magic bullet of
ontologies) and 2) we still lack usable, standards-compliant software
that can provide the social functionality that Facebook provides, i.e.
profile, friending (relationships), access control, and so on that can
be used within a modern HTML5 framework in a cross-platform fashion.
Emphasis on "usable" and "modern" :)