Re: Facebok a leader of _federated_ social networking?

On 7/2/13 2:59 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Kingsley Idehen (2013-07-02 19:25:01)
>>> Looking athttp://www.w3.org/TR/ld-glossary/#x5-star-linked-open-data
>>> I am not sure I agree with that...
>> I wrote a post about Facebook an Linked Data. Long story short, they
>> produce 5-Star Linked Data via Turtle based documents [1] which are
>> exposed via the Facebook Graph API.
>>
>> Note, this is about authenticated access to structured data. The
>> structured data is standards based, which is why it is correctly seen
>> as "Open" i.e., the API based access controls aren't the basis for
>> determining if its "Open" or "Distributed" since the data does indeed
>> flow in and out of Facebook domains [2].
> Thanks for explaining.
>
> Partly my confusion stems from reading "Linked Data" as "Linked Open
> Data", as Melvin pointed out to me in a private mail.
>

>   - Jonas

In a way, Linked Data is actually Linked Open Data (when its based on
standards). The problem is that Linked Open Data is now perceived as
meaning Publicly available Linked Data (just like "Open Source" and
"Free Software" were never meant to mean Free as in $0.00 software etc..)

Terminology wise, we have a bit of a mess on our hands :-(

Another example:

The Semantic Web is really what the Linked Open Data cloud exemplifies
i.e., the Linked Open Data (LOD) Cloud is actually a Semantic Web of
Linked Data.

The World Wide Web is in actuality a Web of Linked Data, Data Web, Web
of Data.

Anyway, the easiest way to make sense of these mangled terms is via
illustrations:

1. http://bit.ly/16EVFVG -- Identifiers, Entity Relationships, and
Relationship Semantics venn diagram

2. http://bit.ly/10Y9FL1 -- World Wide Web Proposal showcasing Linked
Data was part of the design all along (its the Semantic fidelity of the
relations that are becoming more fine-grained and machine-comprehensible)

3. http://bit.ly/11SiBNd -- recent post to the W3C TAG about Public and
Private Webs.

--

Regards,