Re: An Introduction: SOCML

Simon,

Excellent feedback. I agree that one-size-fits-all specifications has the
potential to limiting rather than liberating and you make some fair points!

Melvin also made similar comments with respect to avoiding the pitfalls of
getting bogged down in transport security, authentication, etc. and I agree
with both of you completely. I will remove those items from discussion and
instead will focus more on the data standard.

The use of case scenarios you mentioned is something I had not considered
and it makes a lot of sense to me to create a few. Essentially, at the end
of this exercise, all I want is a uniform data interchange format to be
established that will be accepted among the various independent social
networks. To accomplish this I believe that having a set of uniform objects
with agreed upon required fields, while also allowing for additional custom
extensibility, is the best way to go.

Regarding Activity Streams, in an earlier post to the listserv I mentioned
that I believe AS currently seems to lack an emphasis on portability of
user content, and largely seems to be "action related." I'm not completely
married to the idea that we need to recreate the wheel, as
AS largely accomplishes 75% of what most social network services want to
capture; however, I'm not sure how to go about extending this interchange
format and more to the point I'm not entirely sure I agree with their
implementation.

I've updated the SOCML wiki with some new ideas. The concepts are not too
dissimilar from AS -- the one thing that is different is that I make a case
for nested social media objects within other social media objects. (I
couldn't find an example of AS doing this; although, it may be implied
somewhere in the docs).

Here are some direct links:

*Identity Object *- very similar to AS "actor" concept. This tag is
universal to all social media objects and describes the owner.

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/SOCML:Identity

*Status Update* *Object *- This is a very simplistic object. In the example
you will see how I embedded an additional identity object in the content to
reference another user. I'd imagine the same could be done for events,
pictures, etc.

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/SOCML:Status

*Service Object* - Ok, so here is where I get a bit into the weeds and try
to create an object that defines service endpoints for how the different
networks can communicate with each other. Of course, this might be one of
the pitfalls you are cautioning against but I think it's important for
social network services to know how to communicate with each other.

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/SOCML:Service

Finally, the updated SOCML object tree can be found here:

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/SOCML_Technical

I will work on some use case scenarios to help further articulate the idea.
I do want to emphasize that I do not want this project to be entirely
driven by my own vision and would like for as many people as possible to
have a hand in creating this. Ultimately, a data standard is no good if
nobody uses it. Perhaps, I can help write a mod for buddycloud that
implements the final standard? :)

Anyway, I look forward to your feedback!

Chris