Re: An Introduction: SOCML

On 11 February 2013 23:38, Pelle Wessman <pelle@kodfabrik.se> wrote:

> 11 feb 2013 kl. 23:03 skrev Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>:
>

> On 11 February 2013 19:27, Julian Steinwachs <
> julian.steinwachs@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> this protocol agnostic approach sounds very interesting. Because you said
>> you did not search the web thoroughly: There is a standard called
>> activitystreams ( http://http://activitystrea.ms/ ) that is designed to
>> describe social interactions (activities) in atom/xml or json. Beyond the
>> discovery and requesting stuff socml could be designed as an encryption
>> wrapper for activitystreams. Or to make it very short
>> socml=activitystreams+PGP ?
>>

> I like AS, but my impression was that original poster asked for something
> that was patent free.  If AS one day put under the IETF or W3C that would
> work, but I dont see this happening in the short to medium term.
>

> AS is released under the Open Web Foundation which should make it as
> patent free as anything put under IETF or W3C? See
> http://activitystrea.ms/licensing/ and http://www.openwebfoundation.org/

I know AS is very popular with some folks on this list so I hope not to
offend.  It's a system I like, but I like to take a more holistic approach
and look at the bigger picture, which includes linked data, open graph
protocol, tent.io and some other promising projects.

IANAL, but it seems to me a grey area.  I have seen lawyers involved in the
AS mailing list, I have not to date seen that happen in social oriented
specs elsewhere.

Certainly there has been patent litigation between OWF members in recent
years, Yahoo vs Facebook springs to mind ... in any case, I'd advise
looking at all the options out there.  The legal aspect is just one of many.