Re: An Introduction: SOCML

On 10 February 2013 00:08, Christopher A <chris.socml@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,

Welcome!

> First, I want to apologize if I have overstepped boundaries with respect
> to editing the groups Wiki page.
>
> I recently posted a proposal for a "Federated Social Network Data
> Standard" on the groups Wiki. I admit, that I have not searched the
> web thoroughly with respect to other initiatives like this; however, given
> the superficial research I have done, I have come to the conclusion that
> currently there are no open dialogs around this topic.

Unsure about this, some groups are more active than others, but certainly
the idea of the web being social was a theme from day 1 and is moving
forward ...

> Over the next couple of days I will begin posting proposed
> technical specifications for the standard. I would like for everyone to
> contribute feedback and make suggestions/modifications.
>
> The solution I am proposing is simple: we need to standardize social media
> content such that independent developers can create their own services that
> can share and aggregate data under a common standard. This standard, should
> be open and free, not encumbered by patents, and be easy to implement while
> offering these features:

+1

Royalty and patent free standards are the way to go, imho ...

>    -
>    - Complete end-to-end privacy control, with use
>    of asymmetric encryption.
>    - A method for authenticating that people are who they say they are.

I think may be putting the cart before the horse, in some senses.  Too
often I see people focused on building security and authentication before
they have identity and identification nailed.  In my view that's a
technique that will struggle to get adoption.   Consider the 4 mainstreams
protocols for communication built security in parallel but are very strong
in identification : the telephone, http ie the web, email & the postal
service.

>    - True data agnosticism, meaning the end user can choose to use a
>    number of providers to store pictures, comments, events, messages, etc.
>    while still having their information available to those with the proper
>    access.

+1

>    - The ability to freely host or move their information to different
>    service providers.

+1

> Anyway, here is the current link to the proposal:
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/SOCML_Proposal

Looks good!

> The SOCML standard overiew:
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/SOCML_Standard

Generally I like where this is going.  Why XML, will this be yet another
XML language?

I like using PKI for communication but it's going to be too advanced for
many.   We've been doing this over 5 years with the WebID over TLS
protocol, however and it works well, imho.

> And the Technical Specifications (in progress!):
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/SOCML_Technical

I like it.

We can build all of this today over HTTP in my view using existing
standards.  Just need the developers to start building! :)