Re: An Introduction: SOCML

Hello all,

First, I want to apologize if I have overstepped boundaries with respect to
editing the groups Wiki page. I also want to apologize if you receive this
message twice. For whatever reason, the Listserv was not showing that it as
having been sent.

I recently posted a proposal for a "Federated Social Network Data Standard"
on the groups Wiki. I admit, that I have not searched the web thoroughly
with respect to other initiatives like this; however, given the superficial
research I have done, I have come to the conclusion that there are no open
dialogs currently on this topic.

Over the next couple of days I will begin posting proposed
technical specifications for the standard. I would like for everyone to
contribute feedback and make suggestions/modifications.

The solution I am proposing is simple: we need to standardize social media
content such that independent developers can create their own services that
can share and aggregate data under a common standard. Much like the RSS
format, this data standard should be open and free, not encumbered by
patents, and be easy to implement while offering these features:

   - Complete end-to-end privacy control, with the use
   of asymmetric encryption.
   - A method for authenticating that people "are who they say they are."
   - True protocol agnosticism, this data standard should be
   freely interchangeable with the number of web technologies that exist.
   - Content portability, meaning the user can choose to use a number of
   providers to store pictures, comments, events, messages, etc. while still
   having their information available to those with the proper access.

Anyway, here is the current link to the proposal:
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/SOCML_Proposal

The SOCML standard overiew:
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/SOCML_Standard

And the Technical Specifications (in progress!):
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/SOCML_Technical

Please feel free to critique or reprimand.

I hope everyone is doing well, and I look forward to working with everyone.

Chris