Re: The Venn of Social

Excerpts from Melvin Carvalho's message of 2012-09-26 17:11:50 +0000:
> One of my heroes, as an undergraduate, was John Venn.  He studied
> mathematics at my college, there was a big stain glass window honoring him
> overlooking our dining area.
>
> Given the increasing number of protocols in recent times I thought it might
> be an idea to make a kind of visual representation, "The Venn of Social",
> partly also inspired by kaliya's venn of identity.
>
> http://www.w3.org/community/rww/wiki/images/9/94/Vennofsocial.png
>
> I think there's two main world view in the social web.
>
> 1. Email style Identifiers
> 2. HTTP style Identifiers
>
> And I've tried to put some ideas at the intersection, in particular the
> read write web, and michiel's promising 'polyglot' approach of
> useraddress.net
>
> I've tried to be representative of the more modern initiatives, please let
> me know if there's anything you feel that it would be useful to add

hmmm... both OStatus (protocol stack) and Diaspora (software? AFAIK using OStatus with some tweaks) use Webfinger, OpenID Connect with SWD also uses email like identifiers and we have this whole webfinger / SWD possible merge going on. also XMPP uses EMAIL LIKE identifiers, BTW webfinger doesn't have anything to do with email other than sharing format of identifier and Mozila Persona (former BrowserID) started with Verified Email Protocol but now as far as I know also doesn't require identifier to function as email... at least i can recall some conversations stating it on mailing list 'back in a days' when they still called it BrowserID ;)

oh and let's don't forget current effort with separate RFC for acct: to URIze those email like looking identifiers :D

nice visual Melvin!