Re: RFC: tent.io (protocol for social networking)

On 25 September 2012 16:01, Michiel de Jong <michiel@unhosted.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Daniel Harris <daniel@kendra.org.uk>
> wrote:
> > Great! But was that all it was?! Is that all it took to solve it?!
>
> no, it was just a small bugfix in the 'URI purism' category. :)
>
> the real work consists in, imho,
>
> 1) accepting that there will always be multiple protocols, instead of
> trying to find one protocol that is better than all other protocols
>
> 2) building one client that speaks all enough protocols so that
> everybody becomes reachable in as many different ways as possible
> (following, sending a private message, chat, etcetera). Friendica is
> quite far with this i think, they have a lot of plugins that speak
> several different protocols.

Perhaps have a oh another thread a "call for participation" for "Basic
compatibility" of each system that would like to work on interop, and has
some cycles for testing.

Assuming we get 3 or more volunteers.

Maybe we should have 3 or so very simple tests to work out compatibility.
I would suggest.

1. Can a user in system A identify a user in system B

2. Can a user in system A friend a user in system B

3. Can a user in system A send a private message to a user in system B

For 1,2,3 document if yes, how, if not, why not.  What do we need to do to
close the gaps.

How does that sound?