Re: Websockets

As you mentioned, there are a few projects like Movim, BuddyCloud, and
OneSocialWeb that use XMPP. I think it's a great protocol and I'm glad
people are using it for federation.

I think there might be a couple of reasons to use Websockets instead of
XMPP:

  * XMPP comes with a mature underlying model for endpoints (accounts,
    servers, components) and payloads (messages, ims, presences). That's
    great if it maps onto what you want to do... otherwise you have to
    adjust.
    Websockets is much more like a bi-directional TCP/IP connection. It
    has practically no model whatsoever.
  * For non-XML payloads, e.g. JSON, you end up doing a lot of
    XML-wrapping with XMPP. With Websockets, you're free to send just
    about anything down the pipe.

I think there's room for experimenting with both mechanisms.

-Evan