Re: Needz - a new classified service with federation

Kingsley, I've answers your questions below. Thanks for your interest.

On 7 Sep 2012, at 18:21, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 9/5/12 4:33 PM, Ed Moore wrote:
>>
>> I hope people on the list might be curious about a new service we've just launched called Needz. It's a classified listing service where anyone can list items for sale, items wanted, services offered or free give aways. Initially we've released an iOS app for Needz (available here) and it has a small web presence here (needz.net).
>
> Are you complimenting this service with one of the following:
>
> 1. API access to structured data?
Yes we use a JSON structured data API

> 2. Structured Profile Data based on a shared schema?
Yes, our profile data is in the hCard microformat.

> Have you had time to look into how Linked Data enables Web-scale construction, publication, and smart exploitation of profile data e.g. the ability to declaratively mesh profile data with needs data -- serendipitously -- without compromising privacy .
A more complicated question, but primarily yes.

All the Needz public data is available through an API, profiles as hCard and Ads themselves in Atom / Activity Streams.
Public data is fully linked.
We enable the linking of Needz profile data to your Twitter & Facebook profile (for authentication and/or cross-posting).
A Needz user can control their profile data privacy easily. You can verify your Needz identity by connecting to Twitter/Facebook plus phone number and/or email however it's up to you whether you reveal this information publicly. If yes, then they are shown as part of your profile, if not a message shows against each item saying 'Verified & Private'.

Regards, Ed

Ed Moore
Ocasta Labs
M: ed@ocastalabs.com