Re: Needz - a new classified service with federation

Markus,

In answer to your questions:

> Do you have any developer documentation on how you are extending PubSubHubbub and Salmon, i.e. how do you model offers?
We only have internal developer documentation, but I can give you some specific answers:

We don't extend PubSubHubbub, it uses a standard Atom feed and 'Fat ping' to distribute updates for federated search.
You can also use Atom to monitor individuals users if you wish.
Needz specific data is carried as xhtml markup in the Content tag. We could create our own namespace but decided to stay with the standard for now.
We use ActivityStream actions & verbs where needed.

> Are you using GoodRelations by any chance?

We don't currently model offers (the data is carried in standard messages) but will likely do so in the future & may well then use GoodRelations or similar.

> In the iPhone app, is there a configuration screen that allows me to "choose" my Needz server?

There isn't, but we only have a single node right now so it wasn't a priority.
In the future it'll be possible to add a Needz server selector.
We think it more likely different deployments will want their own customised app, for example so they can use an existing user account that may not support the normal standards we've adopted so far.
Truth is we don't yet know what route will be more popular.

> Is there an open source implementation for setting up my own Needz server?

Not at present, but we haven't ruled out making the server open source at some point.
We have made aspects of the service open source, such as an authentication module for CouchDb we wrote.

Hope that helps, Ed