Re: WebFinger compromises

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Evan Prodromou <evan@status.net> wrote:

>  I think that RFC 6415 does that:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6415
>
> It describes pretty clearly what most of us have meant by "Webfinger".

And then some extra distracting stuff.

> JSON only (if that is not obvious, you need to write some code this decade)
>
> I don't think this is reasonable. We're lucky to have had some quick
> implementations of Webfinger and it's not clear how or when they'd be
> updated to JSON.

That spec you just cited said JSON is required and XRD is optional, so what
do you mean by "not clear how or when they'd be updated to JSON"--- if they
don't support JSON they don't speak WebFinger.

"Updating" any current WebFinger library from XRD+JSON to just-JSON is
simply a matter of deleting, not adding.

>  For Open Source implementations like StatusNet, we just don't have the
> ability to force people to roll out new versions.

StatusNet can continue to speak whatever it wants among itself.  But
WebFinger is JSON only.  (whether or not the spec says JSON only, it's
JSON-only in practice, if JSON is the only MUST for both client and server.)

> JSON preferred, XML optional is probably the only way to go forward.

Your argument seems to be: "Status.net exists => Must have XML. QED." I
don't buy it.

Status.net is tiny in the grand scheme of what WebFinger could be.  I
believe it'll only be successful if it's simple.

> 1 round trip vs 2 round. Pick one that is simple to implement. Let's not
> get caught up in optimization. Brad's comments below seem sane (as usual)
>
>  The current spec is here:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-webfinger-02
>
> It describes a 1-round-trip extension to RFC 6415.

I argued that the extension is a dangerous early optimization.

> Here's what I think is important: we need to build applications that use
> Webfinger.

Here's what I think is important: WebFinger needs to be simple. It has
morphed into not simple.

> There's a virtuous cycle we haven't yet kickstarted. Things like Simple
> Web Discovery are a step in the wrong direction.

I don't even know what SWD is, nor do I want to.