Re: ActivityPump API

I realize in theory inbox-per-server seems efficient; in practice it's an unnecessary early optimization. This is what PubSubHubbub does and it's the biggest problem with the protocol.

The big problem with this method is that it requires the receiving server to understand and interpret collective addresses.

For example, if I post an image to all my followers, or to people in my "Close family" list, or to people who've joined the "Ruby developers" group, the originating server can identify who should receive the image and deliver it to each person's inbox.

Requiring a remote server to know who, if anyone, on its server is in my "Close family" list is unreasonable.

-Evan