From: webfinger@googlegroups.com [mailto:webfinger@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Melvin Carvalho
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:34 AM
To: Nick Jennings
Cc: public-fedsocweb@w3.org; webfinger@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: avatar.js

On 21 November 2012 11:25, Nick Jennings <nick@silverbucket.net> wrote:

Hello All,

 This is my first time posting to both the fedsocweb and webfinger lists. My
name is Nick Jennings and I'm a long-time open-source hacker, though until
recently I haven't been very active in the problem domain of the open social
web. Michiel de Jong and I have been working on a simple avatar.js library
which takes an email address, and uses WebFinger to query the host portion
and return the avatar URL, if found.

 It currently uses the /.well-known/host-meta.json endpoint as it's starting
default, then falls back to host-meta (if not found). Likewise with HTTPS
falling back to HTTP. I see there is a WebFinger draft 3 in progress which
will change the endpoint to /.well-known/webfinger, so I'll update that as
the default soon, with a fallback to host-meta*. Of course, the server will
need to support CORS since this is a pure JavaScript browser client library,
so it doesn't work with gmail.com email addresses.

First of all great work!  The demo is simple and intuitive, it's great you
can see the results right away.

One thing that we do sometimes is fall back to a CORS proxy when the remote
server does not offer CORS.  I'm surprised gmail does not.

Any plans to support other identifiers that have an avatar such as http?
Then you can get avatars from indieweb users, facebook, tent.io etc. too ...

A demo can be found here:

http://silverbucket.github.com/avatar.js/

and the repository:

http://github.com/silverbucket/avatar.js