Re: Introduction and question

On 19 May 2012 16:34, Nick Vidal <nick@iss.im> wrote:

> Hi Wyb and Michiel,
>
> >> I have just joined the group and some other groups of W3C
>
> I'm also new to this group and I share Wyb's enthusiasm regarding open
> standards and federated social web!
>
> > To understand federated social web you need to at least understand the
> > ideas behind xmpp federation and the ideas behind OStatus federation.
>
> I'm the author of ISS/IM (Instant Syndicating Standards), which was
> greatly inspired by XMPP. Nowadays we are more focused on bringing
> this technology to the Web. I'll be launching a free e-book in about 2
> months from now which details this technology specifically for the
> Web, but for now you can access information about it at our website:
>
> http://iss.im/
>
> I have also created a group here at W3C with the following description:
>
> http://www.w3.org/community/groups/proposed/#iss-im
>
> "ISS/IM is an open set of standards that empowers individuals to
> discover and syndicate information through the help of their own
> personal social network. As of today, there is no existing technology
> that allows individuals to share information in a bottom-up manner on
> a global scale. ISS/IM is a proposal to create just that: a
> distributed worldwide recommender system perfectly tuned to output a
> very personalized stream of information for each individual, where
> information flows from the personal social network towards the whole
> wide world."
>
> I look forward to working together with the community, specially with
> this group, which is very much a relevant alternative to today's
> centralized social networks.

Hi All

There seems to be two approaches to federating social networks.

1. Work on protocols for federation, then try to implement them and inter
connect. (FWS)

2. Start with identity on the web (using URIs to describe people places and
things) then reuse HTTP as much as you can to create natural linked data
systems on the web, some of which happen to be social.

I think (1) is the major approach of FWS (this group).

We are experimenting with (2) in the read write web community group.  So
far we have about 10 candidate systems for interop, and I'm happy to say
we've got at least 3 open source platforms working together so far.

http://www.w3.org/community/rww/wiki/Social_Systems

Currently we're using an enhanced version of the "pingback" protocol to
send cross platform messaging.

If anyone is interested in joining the fun it requires a small php script
with "to" "from" and "comment" fields.

Looking forward to seeing the web get a bit more federated! :)