Re: Let's blow some new life into this community group

Hi Simon!

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Simon Tennant <simon@buddycloud.com> wrote:
> The original thread is here if anyone is interested:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/buddycloud-dev/M5f-UOVbOLY/OgqR7Onk7mEJ

I'll dive into that, thanks! I will probably have more questions about
the topic down the line (and about xmpp disco).

Right now for useraddress.net I'm focussing on:
- full name (unformatted free text)
- avatar (image URL)

This, combined with sameAs-links and the possibility to search for a
user address (like a JID for instance), will already be enough to
create one network of "people who can be found on useraddress.net". A
second question then is, once you found a person, how can you 1) send
them a message, 2) read their bio/profile/blog/homepage, 3) subscribe
to their feed. But that's a second step. Also, if multiple formats are
in use, we can generalize over them, just like we can generalize over
various way to send someone a message or to read someone's profile and
feed.

Imho, this two step approach (separating user discovery from actual
communication tools) removes the need for one unified 'vcard' format
beyond the basic free text name and avatar URL. In useraddress.net, i
aim to unify user discovery for StatusNet, BuddyCloud, Friendica,
Diaspora, Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and also for home-brew
identities as much as possible.

Cheers,
Michiel