Re: Distributing the user interface for social networks

On 7/9/12 5:30 PM, Michiel de Jong wrote:
> Hi Evan,
>
> I like this because it's a simple solution to an important problem we
> currently have. i think another solution to the same problem is
> WebIntents, and obviously remoteStorage can also solve it, but they
> are more generic solutions to a wider set of problems each, and i
> think it would be good to experiment also with a more specific
> solution like the one you describe.
>
> it does mean that you have to type in your user address into the
> widget. so there WebIntents have an advantage because you would
> presumably have your home node in your installed apps, so that its
> share intent is always registered.  but i understand if you think
> webintents is too experimental still at this point (only chrome does
> it natively so far, and few people use browser-installed apps still).
>
> I do think it would be cooler to use OAuth2's Implicit Grant flow
> here. This means that example.net never gets to see the token (unless
> it harvests it from the js runtime but that would be a weird thing to
> do). In particular, it would mean the widget could be statics-only,
> and you remove a example.net from the flow entirely in the widget
> case. i'm always keen to reduce the role of servers and do more things
> in client-side javascript. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Michiel

There is an old M-V-C model for loosely coupling model, viewers, and
controllers (orchestration code).

There's nothing about the Web or proper exposure of its naturally
federated dimension that invalidates the prowess of M-V-C.

Javascript is just one language. You can't think in language specific
terms when designing Web applications. I am sure you Java, Javascript
etc.. didn't even exist when the Web was designed. That didn't stop them
from becoming useful in specific problem domains. Why break the
fundamental principles of the underlying architecture of the host system?

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO