Re: Network identity / brand

On 8 July 2012 17:59, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 7/8/12 11:24 AM, Michiel de Jong wrote:
>
>> how about "user address"? it's like "what's your email address" except
>> that it makes more sense because it doesn't say 'email'. that's the
>> reason i started using that term about a year ago to say "the
>> user@host string you put into webfinger"
>>

> We've had IDs in our lives forever. Why not use it re., whatever comes
> next?

Local identifiers scale locally, and are in competition with each other.
It's the nature of most programmers that they dont normally realize the
competitive advantage of using URIs.  Essentially your biggest task then
becomes persuading as many people as possible to use your system.  We
actually had this situation before the web of documents with competing
documentation systems.

URIs on the other hand work in perfect cooperation with each other.
Eventually all systems of any note will identify things with URIs.  URIs
also have the advantage that they can be linked to local identifiers.  And,
as usual on the web, first movers get an advantage.