Re: the possible impact of future changes in webfinger (was Re: Anonymity and multiple identities)

On 7/7/12 6:35 AM, Michiel de Jong wrote:
> Note that webfinger is important at the moment you action a friend
> request. once two people are friends, you no longer need webfinger,
> because you have other ways to communicate. But without webfinger, the
> only way to send a friend request is by using a centralized database.

You have URIs and Resolvers. A URI is a vehicle for many things,
including federated identity. A URI that specifically identifies an
Agent (human or machine) *can* resolve to a resource (a document) that
bears content that basically represents its profile, using indirection.

You can achieve what I stated above unintuitively (but at low cost)
using a http: URI. You can also achieve it intuitively (but at higher
cost) using an acct: scheme URI and the Webfinger protocol (which is
http based).

To conclude, neither http: nor acct: based agent URIs monopolize
federated identity. We need to stop preoccupying ourselves with
implementation details.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen