Re: the possible impact of future changes in webfinger (was Re: Anonymity and multiple identities)

On 7 July 2012 12:06, Michiel de Jong <michiel@unhosted.org> wrote:

> Hi Melvin,
>
> Let's not talk about how we got where we are; let's instead discuss
> where we are and what the future holds.
>
> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Melvin Carvalho
> <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
> > there's still a long way to go, for [webfinger]
>
> i totally disagree;
>
> - it already works.
> - we now have an internet-draft at IETF with intended status
> "standards track" [1]
> - webfinger is being used in production as we speak.
>
> maybe there will be some breaking changes at some point, but they will
> probably change mainly the format and the syntax, and not the flow, so
> actual code changes will probably only be a few lines for everyone. i
> find your approach to wait and wait for years and years in case the
> standard will still change highly ill-advised, because that way you
> can't ever use anything. i understand if conservative players do that,
> but we're supposed to be leading the way here, right?
>
> The fact is that we have a standard that works, so let's use it the
> way it was designed. i admit there is a risk that at some point a
> breaking change is decided on, and then we'll have to change a few
> lines of code. if and when that day comes, i personally volunteer to
> send you a pull request for the necessary change in both your
> fedsocweb server and your fedsocweb client. :) does that resolve your
> concerns?
>
> if you just want to drive on paved roads, and ask for your money back
> when things change a little bit as they evolve and mature, then maybe
> fedsocweb is not for you. if you want to help build the roads (and i
> know you do), then now is a very good opportunity i would say.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion.  After 3 years, I dont feel
it's delivered on its promises, and the world has moved on.  I look forward
to you, and other webfinger evangelists, proving me wrong.  :)