Re: Anonymity and multiple identities

On 5 July 2012 12:38, Flemming Bjerke <web@bjerke.dk> wrote:

> I think I disagree on Step 2:
>
>  Step 2: "Webfinger" - Webfinger is the official way to publish your
>> public profile information on the web. It takes a user name and a
>> domain name as its parameters, and returns information like full name,
>> avatar picture in different sizes, home location, possibly some public
>> keys that the user has on the device(s) she often connects from, and
>> other contact information. It also links to any other information
>> sources about the user, like a foaf profile or an activity stream, and
>> possibly non-web contact methods like email addresses and jabber ID's.
>> Webfinger makes "users at hosts" into something the web as such can
>> understand in a unique and well-defined way.

Let me just say that webfinger is not a standard (ie best practice) that
has been approved by any recognized body.  Nor is it even yet the
documentation of an existing process (rfc) that has been officially peer
reviewed, by any body.  It's taken 3 years to solve a relatively simple
problem and is nowhere near finished, imho.  During initial WG the review
process at the IETF so far, 'poor', 'spectacularly bad' and 'tainted', are
some of the adjectives that have been used to refer to elements of the
document so far.  I've been looking forward for 3 years for the additional
information about an email address to be provided, but there's still a long
way to go, for this technology.  Personally I think it needs a complete
rewrite.