Re: Let's blow some new life into this community group

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Jan Wildeboer <jwildebo@redhat.com> wrote:

> We need XMPP server implemented in JavaScript. So it can run client or
> server side with node.js.
>
> I think every single part of the stack should be JS. With a dynamic layer
> that can seamlessly run code either client or server.
>
> That is my ideal solution for the freedom box, BTW.
>
> A pure JS only stack can run on very cheap hardware. Add more languages
> and you raise the price.

Hmm this idea of having only JavaScript throughout the stack is indeed
compelling.

It seems this would make the stack much easier to extend, i.e. to write new
FreedomBox apps.

So maybe an app would just be a Debian package consisting only of some
HTML/CSS/JavaScript, and it would be able to access the stack's core APIs
(e.g. Michiel's 6 layers).
It would also get "registered" in the UI so it can be configured and
launched..