Re: Let's blow some new life into this community group

On 4 July 2012 17:29, Evan Prodromou <evan@status.net> wrote:

>  Speaking of blowing new life into the group: I think it might help to
> have some focused goals for the group.
>
> I've taken a shot at identifying what those goals might be here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/Mission
>
> I've copied the page below for easy review, but please edit the wiki
> instead of replying here!

Looks like a great list.

Perhaps some of FSW might also think about identity.  Arguably our biggest
challenge as technologists is to see, to identify, and to name.

A good identification system lends itself quite well to federation, in that
you can give yourself a headstart.

I suppose there's 2 schools of thought.

1) Facebook has identity on the social web sewn up
2) Everyone else competing for the rest of the pie

I've never been clear on how FSW identifies a user, tho I've been impressed
with the original status.net / identi.ca implementations of FOAF.

I see new social nets come up every few months with a goal of federation.
I always ask a simple question: 'how do you identify a user'.  Most of the
time they dont know.  A really good method for identification makes it that
much easier to federate with your peers, imho.