Re: Let's blow some new life into this community group

On 4 July 2012 19:43, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

>  On 7/4/12 12:19 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

> On 4 July 2012 17:44, Michiel de Jong <michiel@unhosted.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
>> wrote:

>> > He means, the basic pattern of the Web. Denote (name) things using
>> URIs. Use
>> > URIs that resolve to useful information. That's it.
>> >

>>  ok, then we agree :)
>>

> Yes that's right.  And in a certain way, HTTP is one of the focal points,
> for the web.  Two nice things with HTTP are 1) it has a large and growing
> network effect 2) that it can be made to interact with other protocols (is
> kind of what I was saying above).
>

> Remember, we don't need to be protocol specific. Just use the best
> protocol for the task at hand. That's the beauty of URI abstraction re.
> entity denotation (naming) and de-reference (resolution) to useful
> information, via the Web :-)

This is correct.  But a widely used protocol like HTTP benefits from 20
years of tooling and the network effect, which translates into a big
advantage, to those that embrace it.

Of the newer protocols (eg webfinger to name one of many) , it's anyone's
guess which will succeed.  But, I watch on with interest :)