Re: Let's blow some new life into this community group

Hi Evan!

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Evan Prodromou <evan@status.net> wrote:
> I also think there's a strong case to be made from the social business side:
> hundreds of thousands of businesses use their own social networks, and
> allowing some controlled, private connections between those networks makes a
> lot of sense.

Absolutely, and i hope all businesses will give there employees
read-write web accounts one day. We already convinced both the Dutch
and the Greek government to give all students and academic staff in
those two countries a remoteStorage-compatible read-write web account.

But if we're going to federate, then we also need to seamlessly
federate private messages. So what's your opinion about simply using
smtp as a server-to-server protocol for that? I think it could be
either very crazy or very sensible. :) Note that facebook is already
doing it, btw, for both incoming and outgoing private messages. I just
tried it and was able to send a private message from my facebook
account to my google account and back. i guess Melvin is right in
saying that that already /is/ the federated social web, and always has
been. :)