Re: Archive Module -revival

On 22/04/2014 15:51, Christian Grün wrote:
> I would propose to stick with the conventions that have been chosen
> for fn:serialize. These rules have also been applied to the EXPath
> File Module (and, of course, the initial version of the Archive
> Module).
As far as I can see the File Module only uses such structure for
serialisation parameters (where of course they should be the same, and
the putative arch:xml() function would use them without change). Is
there somewhere else I've overlooked? My gripe is about the use of
option-name/@value structures, which can look tedious and apparently
have no better representative power than option-name="value", especially
as properties could be 'duplicated'.
>   Users will be thankful if they can apply the same rules to as
> many functions and modules as possible.
If so then I suggest that we do not try to be symmetric in our use of
entry descriptions, otherwise we'll have to live with

      arch:entries()[ends-with(arch:name/@value,'.xml')] if
arch:entries() returns complete structure,

as opposed to

     arch:entries()[ends-with(.,'.xml')] if it returns xs:string*

[I can't see us really wanting a mixed element()/text() representation
such as:

     <arch:entry>file1<arch:compression value="flat">..... </arch:entry>

can you?]

Of course the alternative would be to add another layer of convenience
functions....... sigh......

--
*John Lumley* MA PhD CEng FIEE
john@saxonica.com <mailto:john@saxonica.com>