Re: Final draft of Proposed Binary Module

On 18/11/2013 13:38, John Lumley wrote:
>> – [offset-beyond-end]: the error code could be renamed to a more
>> general designation such as "out-of-bounds", as in many cases it does
>> not only refer to $offset, but involves another value as well (such as
>> $size, or a constant).
> Agreed - though I thought it might be helpful to distinguish between
> 'negative' and 'positive' excursions beyond the data.
I'm inclinded to have two errors: [index-before-start] and
[index-after-end] - differentiating between them, which the machine of
course can do, makes it easier to track the error - before-start is more
likely to be $offset wrong etc.

--
*John Lumley* MA PhD CEng FIEE
john@saxonica.com <mailto:john@saxonica.com>