Re: Final draft of Proposed Binary Module

On 14/11/2013 10:35, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> Thanks for all your hard work!  This is ultimately going to make some
> whole new applications possible.
>
> I have two non-substantive edits; include only if you feel the need:
>
> (in 5.2 bin:bin)
>
>     ... a sequence of (8-wise) (ASCII) binary digits  ...
In groups of 8, compared with 'pairwise' as in groups of two.....

> should read (I think)
>
>    ... a sequence of (8-wide) (ASCII) binary digits ...
>
> (in 6.2 bin:part)
>
> The example made me wonder how to convert "PDF%" to binary.  I scanned
> below to find bin:encode-string.  It might be nice to include a
> forward reference here as a benefit for first-time readers.
An easy change - thanks for the suggestion.

> I'm also curious why packing and unpacking functions aren't specified
> as taking/returning sequences of numbers.  Is the idea that any
> conceivable optimizations can be achieved just as easily by mapping
> the functions or using them with function operators?

Jirka has replied to this one.... it wouldn't be difficult, but we'd
need an extra 'how-many' argument on the decode. Let's eave it for a 1.1!

--
*John Lumley* MA PhD CEng FIEE
john@saxonica.com <mailto:john@saxonica.com>