Re: Draft of Binary module

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 15:08:53 +0100
To: Adam Retter <adam@exist-db.org>
CC: Florent Georges <fgeorges@fgeorges.org>, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>, EXPath <public-expath@w3.org>
On 14.3.2013 14:48, Adam Retter wrote:

> Are you saying that octet does not mean octal number? If so, what does
> octet mean? does it in fact mean byte? if so can we just call it a
> byte please.

Octet is information unit which has 8 bits, for byte it was not always
the case, see:

To me octet is quite natural term it's used in definition of almost all
internet protocols. I think that using byte would be confusing in the
context of XML stack as corresponding XML Schema data type is signed
which is not relevant for raw binary data.