Re: Draft of Binary module

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:56:53 +0000
To: Adam Retter <adam@exist-db.org>
CC: public-expath@w3.org
 >I really wish we could just settle on one binary type in XQuery. I
would be interested to know a little history about why we have two of
them Mike?

I wasn't around at the time, but XSD was a very large working group and
they came to the spec from many different directions. Because of the
focus on validation, the idea that one value space can be mapped to two
different lexical spaces doesn't appear anywhere in XSD, for example you
can't choose a different lexical representation of numbers, booleans, or
dates, all of which would sometimes be useful.

Mike