Re: Draft of Binary module

From: Adam Retter <adam@exist-db.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:48:32 +0000
To: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Cc: public-expath@w3.org
Wow thats quite comprehensive :-)
I will need to digest it fully yet, but I have a few initial questions -

1) Why the use of xs:hexBinary when most other EXPath function
libraries (and in fact most 3rd party XQuery functions) I have seen
use xs:base64Binary? Converting from one to the other is something
that you *really* dont want to have to do, especially for large files!
It would be really nice if we could agree to use one of these types
and not both in complimentary standards. Until now xs:base64Binary
seems to be more prevalent, and is certainly more useful in a web
context for http and email.

2) There seems be duplication between file:read-binary() in the EXPath
file module and bin:unparsed-binary in the EXPath Binary module...

Im just reading through the rest now, my main concern is that these
operations can be done efficiently. I have been re-working the
implementation of the common Java code for the EXPath http module to
support streaming of large binary values and large string values. We
have customers that want to work with binary and text documents that
are several gigabytes each from XQuery.

On 13 March 2013 09:33, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with a great help from Florent I was able to publish very first draft of
> binary module specification at
>
> http://expath.org/spec/binary
>
> Comments welcomed!
>
>                         Jirka
>
> --
>   Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz
>        Professional XML consulting and training services
>   DocBook customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing
>  OASIS DocBook TC member, W3C Invited Expert, ISO JTC1/SC34 rep.
>     Bringing you XML Prague conference    http://xmlprague.cz

Adam Retter

eXist Developer
{ United Kingdom }