Re: Location Module Spec

The name, "location module" suggests something more ambitious than what it actually is. If we're confining the scope to getting location data associated with an IP address, then I would have thought a single function that returns structured data in XML form would be more useful.

Even within that scope, there seem to be bits missing. Longitude and latitude, and postcode, are the obvious things needed to link into other geographic information sources. (Or perhaps the data just isn't reliable enough for that to be worth doing? A search on my IP address puts me in Weston-super-Mare...)

Finding the distance between two IP addresses seems very odd. It's the composition of two separate functions that would be much more useful independently: IP-address to long-lat, and (long-lat, long-lat) to distance.

As to detail, it's not specified what the "timezone" function returns.

Michael Kay
Saxonica