Re: EXPath binary module - comments - bin:decode-string()

On 05/08/2013 15:06, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> By far the largest source of decoding errors I've seen is the
> confusion of various 1-byte character sets (like windows-1252, iso
> 8859-1) with utf-8.  In this case the majority of characters will be
> equivalent, but there will be occasional errors. It's reasonable
> either to provide some sort of error recovery: ie to insert
> replacement characters where ther are errors, or to simply raise an
> error.  Both behaviors are useful in different circumstances.
>
> Given the API as currently specified, I think strict checking is the
> only choice.
I agree - at this stage raising a straightforward 'malformed or
unmappable input in decoding' error will be simplest. An implementation
could furnish further information (e.g. bound to $err:value in
xsl:catch) which could be used by an application programmer for some
form of recovery, but this would be implementation dependent.

> It seems this spec is getting close to baked, but perhaps in some
> future revision of this spec, we might want to consider adding error
> recovery?
Yes - for a later version, unless someone raises strong objections now.

--
*John Lumley* MA PhD CEng FIEE
john@saxonica.com <mailto:john@saxonica.com>