Re: EXPath binary module - comments - endianness

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:43:17 +0100
Cc: EXPath CG <public-expath@w3.org>, Adam Retter <adam@exist-db.org>, Florent Georges <fgeorges@fgeorges.org>
To: John Lumley <john@saxonica.com>

Well, there is "middle-endian" (see http://unixpapa.com/incnote/byteorder.html) though I think it's unlikely anyone would want to support it nowadays.

> But there is another issue we haven't addressed - the default being 'little endian'. Whilst I understand that the common x86 architecture is little-endian, I'm more concerned that I very rarely (perhaps never?) see little-endian data in my own limited practice - mostly its been big-endian.

Agreed, I think most-significant-first is by far the most common in interchange standards; though of course that falls into the 93% of all statistics which are made up on the spur of the moment...

Michael Kay
Saxonica