Re: Candidate topics for EXI strategy summary at TPAC

(moving thread originally posted on member list out to public list)

On 9/13/2016 7:54 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> (initial draft during weekly telcon)
>
> Candidate topics for EXI strategy summary at TPAC
>
> 1. 2016 progress
> - Canonical EXI
> - EXI4JSON
> - EXI4CSS
> - Web of Things (WoT)
> - EXI Extended String
>
> 2. Goal: comprehensive support for Open Web Platform (OWP) and WoT
> - CSS
> - XHTML syntax for HTML5
> - JSON support can lead to JavaScript
> - MathML
> - SVG
>
> 3. Goal: consistent security model between XML, EXI
> - XML Signature
> - XML Encryption
> - current security strategies?
>
> 4. Additional goals
> - EXI2 goal capabilities https://www.w3.org/XML/Group/EXI/wiki/EXI2
> - Needed: bundling of multiple files/directories together (e.g. zip, tar)
> - note X3D Graphics using EXI with geometric compression + XML security, position paper for Web & Virtual Reality Workshop
> - note other opportunities emerging, e.g. EXI can improve compression of Office document formats
>

> 5. Other preparations
> - need to confirm public/member/wiki pages are up to date
>
> ... improvements please

Further discussion on teleconference today:

- Significant EXI progress has continued to occur in 2016.
-OWP strategy (which was once speculative) now appears clearly achievable in coming year.
- Pursuit of XML Security strategy has become actionable thanks to Canonical EXI.
- Once we start measuring processor/network performance and power savings, then EXI support for WoT may become quite significant.
- More outreach is important so that broader consideration and participation can occur. W3C support can help.
- Issue 119, Publicizing EXI capabilities and opportunities https://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/exi/issues/119
- Agenda item for TPAC discussion next Tuesday.

Safe travels to Lisbon everyone!

all the best, Don
--
Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br       brutzman@nps.edu