Re: EXI for JSON structure

Thanks for continued scrutiny of these possibilities.

There was some excellent dialog captured in meeting minutes from last week.

	https://www.w3.org/2016/02/02-exi-minutes.html

Incidentally it would be helpful for the entire list if minutes might be posted after each meeting, and perhaps a link provided in agendas.

Given that prior dialog, getting back on topic:

Regarding the current JSON encoding, it has a major virtue of being able to handle any JSON document correctly.

In some sense, if you solely use JSON itself, there is no further meta-information to take advantage of when trying to make an EXI JSON encoding as efficient as possible.

This is similar to using EXI with XML documents that do not have an XML schema.

So a key insight is that use of a JSON schema is necessary, and might allow a more "tuned" application of EXI algorithms.

That would then lead us to consider a pair of approaches to JSON compression: document based (no schema) or informed by JSON schema.

A potential path forward thus presents itself: comparison of expressive power between XML Schema and JSON Schema, anticipating possibly improved EXI encodings for JSON.

This approach might also raise suggested commonality that best supports the design of XML and JSON data structures with equivalent information models.

If we get that far, we will have gone a long way towards understanding whether bidirectional mappings between XML, EXI and JSON are feasible.

It will also illustrate the differences and tradeoffs between a strict object model (e.g.) and a less-strict document model (e.g. XML PSVI).

Onward we go...   8)

all the best, Don
--
Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br       brutzman@nps.edu