Re: Support for Canonical EXI interoperability test in TTFMS

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 21:31:49 -0500
To: John Schneider <john.schneider@agiledelta.com>
Cc: "Peintner, Daniel (ext)" <daniel.peintner.ext@siemens.com>, Takuki Kamiya <tkamiya@us.fujitsu.com>, "public-exi@w3.org" <public-exi@w3.org>
John Schneider scripsit:

> While I appreciate your desire to interpret the schema designer’s
> intent, I believe you are making some inaccurate assumptions here. In
> particular, if a schema includes the following element declaration:
>
> 	<element name=“foo” type=“xs:string” />
>
> I don’t believe it is accurate to assume the designer is expressing
> a preference for whether empty strings are represented as <foo></foo>
> or the shorter <foo/>.

Indeed, that distinction cannot be made in any schema language I know of.
There is no Infoset-level distinction between empty tags and empty elements
with a start-tag followed by an end-tag: it is purely lexical, like whether
you use single or double quotes around an attribute value.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
Go, and never darken my towels again!